On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply projection mapping techniques in their creative practice.
- Apply real-time video and image processing techniques in their work.
- Identify their strengths in creating experimental audiovisual content.
- Further develop their artistic style.
Audiovisual Studio is an advanced studio course that explores real-time video art, generative art and audiovisual performances through hands-on experimentations, lectures and screenings.The topics covered include, but are not limited to:
- Experimental video art
- Real-time video
- Generative art
- Projection mapping
Although the course introduces various tools for interactive audiovisual art, the use of any specific software or programming environment is not required. Students are expected and encouraged to develop their personal strengths and existing skills to find their own distinctive styles and workflows as audiovisual artists.
Although no specific software is a requirement to use for the final project of the course, a large portion of the contact teaching hours are used to introduce various techniques and workflows using software called TouchDesigner. Students can install the free version of TD on their personal computers. We also have the educational version of TouchDesigner installed in the room L208 where the lectures also take place.
Spaces, Studios and Workshops
- The classes always start in room L208, we will also do some experiments in room G203 (Experimental Studio) each lecture.
- Throughout the entire period, room G203 is booked for us for working. There will be some Desktop PCs with Touchdesigner installed, projectors, and other equipment for you to use.
- The Media Lab Home Base room O102 is also equipped with a projector, two powerful computers with TouchDesigner installed, surround sound and other equipment. Use that room also for working independently.
- If needed, I can book the room R106 for independent work for you. It has HTC Vive Pro, two projectors, DMX lights, and a powerful computer with TD installed.
- Use mfavdi.aalto.fi to remotely access the L208 computers with TouchDesigner
- Mechatronics (G014) is available for you to use
- Aalto Fab Lab is available for you to use.
- Book the the Open photostudio whenever you need to use it.
Schedule (Spring 2021)
Tuesday, March 1, 2022 | 9:15–12:00
Wednesday, March 2, 2022 | 9:15–12:00
- Inspiration | Media Archaeology, Phantasmagoria and Magic Lanterns
- Tool | TouchDesigner Basics
Thursday, March 8, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Friday, March 9, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Inspiration | Abstract Animation, Experimental Films, Visual Music
- Tool | Audio Analysis in TouchDesigner
Tuesday, March 15, 2021 | 9:15–12:00 (Matti is in admissions interview, homework screening)
Wednesday, March 16, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Inspiration | John Whitney, Scanimate, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram
- Tool | Working with 3D in TouchDesigner
- Tool | Depth Cameras (Kinect, Azure Kinect DK, RealSense Cameras)
Group A | Tuesday, March 22, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Group B | Wednesday, March 23, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Inspiration | Projection Mapping
- Inspiration | Digital Scenography
- Tool | Projection Mapping in TouchDesigner
Group A | Tuesday, March 29, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Group B | Wednesday, March 30, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Tool | How to setup a livestream from TouchDesigner to Twitch (or other streaming service)
- Project work & tutoring
Group A | Tuesday, April 5, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
Group B | Wednesday, April 6, 2021 | 9:15–12:00
- Preparation for the Livestream or exhibition
- Project work and tutoring.
BOTH GROUPS | Friday, April 8, 2021 | 15:15–->
- AV Studio Livestream Event